- Current Issue
- Buyer's guide
NACWA Commends Bipartisan Voluntary Clean Water Trust Fund Legislation
Last November, Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), along with Representatives Richard Hanna (R-PA), Tim Bishop (D-NY), John Duncan (R-TN), Donna Edwards (D-MD), Ed Whitfield (R-KY), Jim Moran (D-VA), and Thomas Petri (R-WI) introduced bipartisan legislation, The Water Protection and Reinvestment Trust Fund Act of 2013 (H.R. 3582), to establish a voluntary federal trust fund for investments in clean water infrastructure. Under the proposal, the makers of water-based beverages and flushable products could opt to put a clean water logo on their products in exchange for a 3-cent fee. The revenue from this fee would go towards a Water Infrastructure Investment Trust Fund, of which 85 percent would go towards replenishing the Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) and the remaining 15 percent would fund a Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Authority to provide low-cost capital to clean water infrastructure projects.
“Considering the importance of clean water infrastructure to the well-being of the American people and to our economy, it is critical that the federal government remains a reliable partner in meeting the nation’s clean water needs,” said Ken Kirk, NACWA’s executive director. “NACWA has long-supported a national clean water trust fund as a way to put real and reliable money on the table to help communities meet Clean Water Act goals. Every dollar directed to the CWSRF enhances clean water for all, and NACWA applauds Representative Blumenauer for his leadership on this issue. We urge Congress to swiftly enact this legislation.”