- Buyer's guide
NASTT Builds On Success Of 2011
It was a busy and eventful year for the North American Society for Trenchless Technology (NASTT) with several significant accomplishments achieved and a strengthening of their internal processes that will guide the society in the coming years.
It also was a year of continued growth in corporate membership, said George Ragula, who begins serving the second year of his two-year term as the NASTT chairperson.
“We’re excited about NASTT’s steady membership growth, especially in the corporate arena,” said Ragula. “For Government membership growth, we’ve initiated a major effort to attract owners to join NASTT by partnering with the American Public Works Association.”
Ragula said the society moved forward in several areas during 2011:
• NASTT developed financial operating policies to allow for smoother day-to-day operations with well-defined requirements and procedures;
• Increased membership with a high percentage of municipal members seeking technical knowledge and networking opportunities;
• Updated the NASTT web site with a new look, new information and the ability to access data faster and more efficiently;
• Published a new magazine, NASTT’s Trenchless Today, which is released three times a year;
• Expanded the CIPP and Sewer Lateral training programs (to be complete in 2012)
• Updated and developed the Good Practices Manuals. The CIPP Good Practices manual (1st Edition) will be released in early 2012;
• Initiated a NASTT Instructor Certification process to educate and train instructors in how to effectively hold a NASTT course (to be implemented in 2012);
• Reinforced the Carbon Calculator program by collaborating with NYSEARCH/Northeast Gas Association to heighten awareness of trenchless technology as a “green” alternative. Phase 1 of the project is expected to be complete in April 2012; and
• Updated a specific section about trenchless technology in a utility right-of-way publication for the American Public Works Association (APWA).
Ragula points out that being a member of NASTT bring its own rewards in the form of education, networking and even economic benefits.