- Current Issue
- Buyer's guide
URS To Expand Presence With Flint Energy Services Acquisition
URS Corporation and Flint Energy Services Ltd. announced a definitive agreement under which URS will acquire Flint for $1.25 billion.
URS also will assume approximately $225 million in Flint debt. The transaction, which has been approved unanimously by the URS and Flint boards of directors, will significantly expand URS’ opportunities to serve clients in the oil and gas industry. Flint, a leading provider of construction services for the oil and gas industry, currently supports many of the largest companies operating in the oil, oil sands and gas producing regions of Western Canada and in the Southwest, Appalachian and Rocky Mountain regions of the United States.
The acquisition will be implemented through a court-approved Plan of Arrangement under Canadian law and is subject to the approval of Flint security holders, relevant regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2012, to be accretive to URS’ 2012 GAAP earnings, and to increase URS’ revenues from the oil and gas sector to approximately 22 percent of total revenues.
Flint has approximately 10,000 employees and a network of approximately 80 locations in North America. The company’s diversified activities span the full cycle of oil and gas exploration and production, including constructing well pads, moving rigs, manufacturing processing equipment, installing small and mid-diameter pipelines, transporting fluids, performing a wide range of mid-cycle production services, and constructing and maintaining large oil sands facilities. Revenues from Western Canada’s oil, oil sands and gas producing regions accounted for approximately 80 percent of Flint’s revenues for the trailing 12 months from Sept. 30, 2011, with the remaining 20 percent coming from the United States. Flint is expected to add approximately $3.5 billion to URS’ book of business upon closing. Following the close of the transaction, Flint will become a new division of URS, led by W. J. (Bill) Lingard, Flint’s president and chief executive officer, as the division president.